Saturday, May 2

Sweet Sanctuary

The decision to remain in Hanoi has been a little difficult in recent months. I miss my mum, and I've been quite sick, also a lack of consistent funds and the aforementioned bout of homesickness (including missing rainforests and clean air) conspired to wear down my resolve.

But the decision to move to bustling, busy Hanoi was the start of a new life and one with so many positives. And now that I have made the transition into a new space I fee like I've turned a fresh page...one with wide, watery vistas and floor-to-ceiling windows.

Yes, it'
s a brothel. Well, it's an ex-brothel, although a few of the world weary women I've seen trekking up the staircase have me questioning the use of the prefix.

As I look around at Corinthian columns, French ceiling designs, polished wooden floors and wide balcony overlooking an expansive lake, I know I'm in an enviable position.

Once the luxurious Hotel Almaz, it fell into disrepute as one of the most notorious brothels in Hanoi. Renovated by the French it still retains its old world charm, however imbued with a slightly grim atmosphere of disrepair.

Last month I saw two filmmakers on the stairs. When I asked them what they were doing, one of them enthusiastically said they were making a war docume
ntary and this was the creepiest staircase in Hanoi!!

In spite of it's grimy exterior, each living space in the seven story building is a unique oasis. And I'm busily making mine liveable. As an added attraction 6th floor houses an enormous studio for Vietnamese and French artists, the floor below is a Buddhist meditation center and the rooftop looks like a scene out of a 1920's movie with a panoramic view of the surrounding suburb.

I know I sound like I'm selling the place, but I feel truly lucky to have such a sanctuary to garden, work, live and simply be.

I'll pop some more photos up when I've worked out how to reload the batteries in my camera...