Tuesday, December 23

Organic Farm=LOVE

Ooooooh.. I love a good organic garden! It makes me all warm and goozy inside. Planting seeds and watching new life creep out from life giving soil...what could be better! Munching sweet tomatoes warm from the earth or hunting through lawn for nasturtium flowers for salads..but that was in Brisbane..

..here in Hanoi, my rooftop
container garden (attempt) in the heat of summer was a disaster! My basil went to seed, lettuce wilted, herbs died...my pumpkin sent out a shoot, saw the fate of his friends and gave up hope...

I'll try again soon. Yesterday I visited one of the first organic farm projects on the outskirts of town..my eyes got their fill of how gardens are supposed to look!

Bright green rows
of spinach and beans mixed with purple herbs and yellow marigolds, a protective windbreak of corn surrounding the lots. Helpful bees and birds and small red tomatoes and thick green zucchini growing on bamboo lattice. Organic gardening at its yummiest!!

An NGO here, Action for the City, has put together a community development project teaching farmers how to grow food organically for market. The farmers have all moved from their age old tradition of growing only one crop and are a brave lot to go 'against the grain' so to speak.

I'd like to spend my time here learning skills that I enjoy, we'll see if I can make the money I need to pay of my debts at the same time as digging in gardens of goodness.. and live a dream life at the same time...

RAU HUU CO THANH XUAN organic farm project
Action for the City

For more information visit
Action For The City

No comments:

Post a Comment