Sunday, December 21

Kids like ninjas

So, I've been spending a lot of time with children lately...ah, yeah, new job. When I told David, his first reaction was to burst out laughing.

It's not that I don't like kids, it's just..well, I've never been around many. When do I get to hang out with children? In Brisbane it was rarely..on public transport..and that's an experience I'd rather not have every day.

Anyway, if I wasn't totally broke I might not have put my hand up, so I'm happy about that at least. Working with pre-teens, well, so we'll see how things go.

On a positive, I'd totally forgotten monsters and ninjas existed, how fun it is to play annoying and repetitive games, that princesses and super heros are cool, and what's it's like to have energy to spare.

And...that 12 year old boys are repelled by 12 year old girls! I can almost see the force fields put up by each group.


It takes a lot of energy teaching kids and you'd better have extra activities in reserve. At this stage I think I prefer teaching adults, but teaching kids is a good way to expand the bank balance and the mind...

...and with Viet kids gain a new perspective
on the thousand ways a child can amuse
themselves with string and a rubberband!

From working with this 10 - 12 age group
I've learned:


1. If it's easy, don't complicate it
2. Vietnamese boys love video games, Ben 10, and ANY super hero
3. Vietnamese girls love Barbie, princesses and ANYTHING pink!
4. Kids are smart and smart asses
5. Set rules from the start and be consistent
6. Never get into an energy battle with a teenager, you'll lose
7. Learn (and double check) names
8. Action games are great - Simon says, red light/green light etc
9. If there is lots of noise during activities, you're doing it right!



No comments:

Post a Comment