Monday, July 28

Spectacular Sapa

Hooray! We are now staying in our house, like many things in Vietnam the move was confusing and complicated, but enormously satisfying. The school is slowly transforming into a home.. a full update on our palatial palace is coming soon!!

In amongst moving and packing, I've taken a trip to Sapa (this trip was a 'gift' from the bro, thanks Josh). It’s a town located high in north-western Vietnam (I looked it up). It takes 8 hours from Hanoi on a bumbling, rumbling overnight train which lands you at Lao Cai station about 5 minutes from the Chinese border.. I was so tempted to take a peek.

Just 40 minutes climbing the winding roads you arrive at Sapa on the easternmost point of the Himalayan ranges. Mountains dominate the skyline and bright green terraced rice paddies carpet the hills. Traditional ethnic groups live here in villages, about 6 minorities in all, the biggest being the Hmong. It's so beautiful and quiet, lush and green.

Sapa Sapa Sapa...
It's like that memory game, I'm going to grandma's house and I bought a hand-embroidered blanket.. I'm going to grandma’s house and I bought a hand-embroidered blanket, and a beautiful belt.. I'm going to grandma’s house and I brought a hand-embroidered blanket, a beautiful belt, and a load of silver jewellery.. gorgeous cushions, traditional instruments, more jewellery etc etc

Needless to say there are a lot of beautiful handcrafted things to buy, but it’s not the shopping, or the cool quiet mornings or the lush hillsides, or the French pattisserie 'Baugette and Chocolat' with a citron tart to DIE for - no, it’s the amazing, smiling, friendly people. The ladies and girls in traditional dress, their impeccable English and their heart warming smiles! Although, the gaggle of little girls that approach you the moment you step off the bus is slightly overwhelming.

About 30 small children in traditional Hmong tribe dress assailed us the second we got off the bus. They hit us with questions, 'what is your name, where are you from, how long are you here’ in little suffocating clusters… and then, surprisingly, they stepped back and allowed us to check into the hotel. I was only slightly suspicious...

My Sapa adventure included trekking, a lot of it! Mostly down the mountain in the rain to visit small villages, playing pool and drinking beers with my guide, waterfalls, local food, and panoramic views always being followed by the same chatty, smiling groups of girls and ladies.

It was at the end of the 5 1/2 hour trek I found out why they are so relaxed at the beginning. Right at the end when me and a French lady were worn, muddy and weary and just slogging it up the last 10 mts to our hotel the four small girls decided this was the moment we were going to buy from them. Powerless you watch as you hand over large amounts of dong for whistles and bracelets feeling slightly obligated to buy from these bright souls, but they really have sales down pat here!

The thing that is the best about living in a country is the thought that yes, you can come back. There have been so many times in my travels that I truly believed I would go back to a particular place and haven't as yet (buying property in Nepal was one of those times). But being here 6 months means that I can definitely can and will visit Sapa again.

Dinh - guide (she speaks excellent English and plays a mean game of pool)
Mob: 01699850187

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tab

    I can so relate to your comments about the kids having their sales routines down pat - they really are relentless aren't they? And of course after they have followed you around hour after hour, it really is hard to say no (and I even thought it would be a bit scary if I had even tried). My most vivid memory of Sapa (apart from the terrifying ride up the mountain path to get there) are the terraced rice fields which make the landscape so unique - truly breathtaking!

    Great to hear your news as per usual - keep it up buddy. And your pics are really cool as well. Sounds like you are having a great time, and all that FOOD - Tab's in food heaven me thinks - hehe.

    Love you loads and can't wait to hear more. Make sure you show us some pics of your new house as well.

    Maria and Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey hey tab!!! your adventures keep getting better and better!!! your pictures are almost as beautiful as you!! xoxoo love you sweet thing!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete