Wednesday, June 23

Soul Kitchen Penang - soul food without the viddles

From the timeless hills of the asli, I'm back in the rhythm of 'real' life. Putting in some work time to make up for the spending I've done in the last few months..I've settled on the tropical island of Penang, found a great little place called Soul Kitchen to spend my hours.

Michele and Tonio created their little getaway in Muntri Street with this gorgeous retro trattoria serving breakfast, pasta and sandwiches. With retro furniture from Germany, old school wallpaper and blackboard menus, looks like a 1960's Berlin cafe and has the same ambience.


We serve delicious passsstaaaa..and grilled sandwiches and hot hot breakfasts! Tonio makes a tiramisu to die for, we've had comments from well-travelled world travellers about the high standard of his little coffee covered delights - but we only make them one day a week! So there is always a weekend rush!!

As far as pasta goes, the chicken a'limone is my favorite, lemon buttery chicken pieces drizzled over penne..mmmm! And when I get back to Australia, the only thing I will be able to think about is the salami with balsamic garlic tremmezzini!

We're smack bang in the busy centre of Georgetown, Penang. A little green cafe surrounded by
Chinese temples and sexy old buildings. Penang is a little developed for my tastes, but it has a quaint old world charm and an off-beat, slow moving community that suits me fine.

I live above the cafe in a huge old room with high ceilings and old red shuttered doors. It does nothing to keep the karaoke out at night, but is full of light and color.

Please come and visit..and if you already have, leave a comment and let me know what you think!






102 Lebuh Muntri
Georgetown, Penang
(next to Chulia Street)


(photos from the very fine My Food Fetish site my-food-fetish.blogspot.com)

2 comments:

  1. hai, i've never been there so far.
    i came across this place in the newspaper.
    how cool this eatery is?
    ummm...how would you rate about the food?
    finding a new eating place has always been my mission over the last two years...
    any good suggestion in addition to Sould Kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your limone pasta.
    Best I ever ate...
    /slurp

    ReplyDelete