Tuesday, April 6

My Malaysia

I got on an airplane..first time in two years!

It's incredible, to fly, being inside clouds, in the air..truly amazing
I got off in Malaysia.

Deep breaths of the thick, warm air of my mother country, my eyes gazed over the varied faces of this country. Tall, short, fat, thin, black, white, asian, indian, mixed, english, canton, malay, hindi, english..singlish...and everything in between!

A quick shower and not long after, I was eating! Typical. Satay chicken and a giant steamed fish, plates of food covering the table and faces of relatives smiling at me over it. I haven't been to Malaysia in 12 years, yet I remember the food here is like nowhere else.

Roti chanai, nasi lemak, rendang, curries, noodles - a culture that loves fried chicken as much as I do! The origins of my gastronimic heritage is clearer here, written all over the rounded bellies of my extended family.

Malaysia is the most developed country I have been for almost two years.

I'm experiencing a level of culture shock I might have experienced if I'd gone to Australia..although if breathing real air is something you must sacrifice in order to have cleanliness, give me Hanoi's overflowing gutters any day! The air-conditioning here is relentless.

I'm stationed at my aunties house, her family rearranged in order to fit in mine (when they arrive). Cosy, in a towering complex, surrounded by hundreds of other towering complexes. The lego blocks that house the Malay/Canton/Chinese/Indian population of Malaysia.

It's just begun to rain. The fat hot drops that only an Asian sky can release...

ok, see you...I'm going for a splashy dance!