Saturday, January 23

Chiang Mai

The beautiful city of Chiang Mai is about 700km north of Bangkok and surrounded by mountainous territory and jungle with tribes still dotting the high hills.

It's been a long awaited visit, Anna and I heard so much about it 7 years ago, but never made it this far north. Arriving in the cool light at an ungodly early hour of the morning, I tracked down the Canvas Cafe, a local public art-house, and dumped my bag..which for some reason is getting heavier and heavier!!

The Canvas Cafe is lovingly decorated with art, roosters welcome you at the front and there's a small green jungle out the back. Lek and Nong and their cute monkey child helped me out with a drink and a tip to the local art gallery and store. They have owned the house for four years and play host to alternative events in Chiang Mai including the Cycircus (a travelling troupe of musicians and clowns I juuuust missed)!

Chiang Mai is a city of temples, with 308 wats dotted around the 700 year old city, it's easy to walk and walk and walk. The four canals that border the old town are ringed by the ancient Thae Phae gate. It's an easy enough place to get around, mostly eating and visiting markets...if I was staying longer I would hire a bike though. (Never mind, Thai foot massages are cheap and everywhere!)

On my last night we were sitting watching UP..a mind blowingly beautiful animation! It's incredible to think that there are movies like this. Adventure, floating houses, conservation and an 80 year old main character! I was as entranced as the chubby little baby, Abaydi.

I went from this colorful mind-candy for a car ride with a couple of people I met through the house. Northgate Hotel has live jazz jams every Tuesday night and tonight jazz saxaphone, trumpets and a funky drum section were rocking the tiny corner bar. I sat and played congos in the corner for an hour and had a blast.

O and her brother Tomo were two of the Thai out with us, their mother had died recently after a long illness and they were out with their friends before 7 days of funeral ceremonies. They said monks would come to their home and chant, ensuring the spirit leaves as it is meant to.

Before I left, O said to me with a serene smile, that she knows her mother will be back again and hopes she can see her mother's spirit before she leaves. It was incredible to see how they were so trusting and content with their beliefs. I can only hope to be as calm and positive when my time comes to experience loss.

Learning, loving, canvas art, padding streets, smiling dogs, teeth cleaning, hippy babies, light and lots of it, sausages, fruit shakes, new leather, new string, new faces and plently of things to smile about!

From here, it's a 7:30 bus and a 3 hour straight shot to PAI!

Canvas Cafe
Phrapokklao Rd
Soi 9