Saturday, November 1

Rain + more rain = FLOOD

Hmm, a more updated perspective on rain. I take back many of my warm goozy feelings about rain from my September post below where I was being naive...

Now that we are well past 25 hours of non-stop, unabated torrential rain, my feelings towards rain in general have changed somewhat!! I kn
ow where all of Australia's water has gone. It's here! and none of it is draining...

The rains came on Thursday, grey skies and cold but humid weather ensuring that nothing wet dries and the smell of mould permeated cupboards and clothing. The city was grey and most of us hoped the rain would simply wash the pollution away. It rains often this time of year, but usually.. IT STOPS!

Hanoi has notoriously bad drainage, and now by Saturday, well, the city is a
smelly, watery brown puddle. The road outside my alley has become a vast brown river, water waist deep in parts. Hanoi is filling steadily like a blocked concrete sink trapping its occupants in their homes (the pub or wherever they happen to be).

I'm home with no cable TV (sigh), gas or food to cook with anyway. But high and 'dry' and happy to have power, fingers crossed. Around the city, there are people in bad positions, as many lakes have burst banks. So far more than 80 people have died, including a few electrocutions due to shoddy wiring hitting wet streets.


We all hope it let's up soon, I've never seen so many Hanoi expats on Facebook at the same time!

Photos from VN News: www.vnnewsw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment